Monday, November 07, 2005

(i love this)

Come away, come away, death

Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it;

My part of death no one so true
Did share it.

Not a flower, not a flower sweet,
On my black coffin let there be strown:
Not a friend, not a friend greet
My poor corpse where my bones shall be thrown:
A thousand thousand sighs to save,
Lay me, O, where
Sad true lover never find my grave,
To weep there.

(William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, II, 4)



3 comments:

Unknown said...

(i like this one)
Blow, blow, thou winter wind,
Thou art not so unkind
As man's ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly.
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly.
Then, heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.

William Shakespeare, As You Like It, II, 4)


(but I'm more partial to this)
How soon, my Dear, death may my steps attend,
How soon't may be thy lot to lose thy friend,
We both are ignorant, yet love bids me
These farewell lines to recommend to thee,
That when the knot's untied that made us one,
I may seem thine, who in effect am none.
And if I see not half my days that's due,
What nature would, God grant to yours and you;
The many faults that well you know I have
Let be interred in my oblivious grave;
If any worth or virtue were in me,
Let that live freshly in thy memory
And when thou feel'st no grief, as I no harmes,
Yet love thy dead, who long lay in thine arms,
And when thy loss shall be repaid with gains
Look to my little babes, my dear remains.

(Anne Bradstreet, Before the Birth of One of Her Children, 7-22)

träumerei said...

:D thanks for showing me those, i didn't know them. they are beautiful. shakespeare kicks ass (???). and i didn't know anne bradstreet, i'm going to investigate about her!

Unknown said...

Sorry I took so long to respond.

Shakespeare is nice, but for some reason I don't read much of his stuff unless it's assigned in school. Lately though, I've been into Jane Austen and Emily Brontë, but what I really love is Spanish literature. I don't know why, but it makes me extremely happy.